I’ve been playing about 6 months, spent $110 USD, and decided, there’s probably a ton of people who could benefit from not making the same mistakes I made along the way. I’m not so sure I’d call them mistakes rather than learning experiences, but it helps to have a defined strategy so as not to move too slowly or not to upgrade the wrong troops too early. Being a great Clash of Clans builder involves trial and error, wasting lots of resources, losings lots of battles, and learning from your mistakes. Learning strategy takes time, and in the world of Clash of Clans strategy, that time equals months of game play. Everyone has their own thoughts on this process, and mine is mostly around a mixed theory of resource farming and looting for a hybrid approach.
I’m going to be posting every day so you can watch as I journey to 2,000 trophies without playing for endless hours.
I’m the farming and looting type of player.
To be a great Clash of Clans builder, you need to upgrade your gold and elixir mines early on. I mean, why not? It’s free resources. I have a full time job and can’t afford to play more than 30 minutes a day, so this isn’t the blog where I sit at home all day looting people, it’s a site where you’ll learn how to play with moderation but still kick butt. I’ll show you great Clash of Clans layouts, from th4 to th5 to th6 and beyond.
To start, my general theory for the first few weeks is to upgrade your town hall and upgrade your mining capabilities. To do this, it helps to make troops and fight the computer for extra gems and extra resources, but the minute you start attacking other people, they’ll seek revenge.
I like keeping my town hall outside of my walls because until you get three X-bows and two inferno towers, you can’t really keep up with anyone anyways. When someone destroys your town hall, you get a shield for 12 hours. That’s free resource mining for 12 hours! How can you beat that? Don’t worry about trophies for a long time. In my TH10 game, it’s tough to get above 2,300 and still build up resources, so build up now while you can.
Throughout your game play, try to keep patient. If you get frustrated, it’ll press you to spend money. Things take time in this game. Check in 2-3x per day to collect your resources. Clash of Clan builder greats like Jorge Yao spent tons of dough to get where they got, but you don’t need to if you want to get really far.
So start by upgrading your mining capabilities and upgrade that town hall! I’ll be posting each day so remember to keep coming back to learn how to keep charging forward. Learn when to upgrade, attack, wait, build up, change defenses after upgrading your town hall, and remember to have fun. Supercell made a killer game.
10 tips to help you become a great Clash of Clans Builder
- Keep your builders building at all times to get ahead faster. (duh, but seriously, keep them building)
- Try to pull your resources 3x/day. If you get attacked, it’s harder to pull resources out of your storages than out of your mines an collectors.
- Surround your storages with your defensive units when setting up your layout. Place your barracks and army camps around your defensive units so the enemy’s units can’t be initially placed too close when they attack.
- Once you get your barracks upgraded to have barbarians, archers, giants, goblins, and breakers, attack with all 5 of them. Start with your giants to absorb damage, send in the breakers to take out the walls, surround everything with archers, then once the mortars are taken out, send in the barbarians and goblins.
- If you want a free shield for 12 hours, keep your town hall outside of your walls so it’s an easy target. Don’t worry about trophies this early in the game.
- When attacking the computer, if you can’t beat the level, just attack for the storages. You can go back in as often as you want to keep looting.
- Early on, don’t spend so much money on walls. You won’t get attacked. Save the gold for upgrades. The same goes for upgrading defensive units early, it’s just not needed yet.
- You can save for the additional builder huts and builders by completing achievements and by removing obstacles to save gems.
- When you go to join a clan, don’t be greedy and ask for troops off the bat, be sure to donate at least as many troops as you request.
- Don’t get caught up in the upgrading. Attack a lot! It’s fun, just be ready for them to take revenge. What I like to do is take revenge on all of the attackers so I don’t have to pay for the ‘random attack’ – it’s free attacking then! And when you’re attacking, unless there are tons of resources left, leave the attack before you get more than 50% damage so you don’t increase your trophy count. The higher your trophy count, generally the bigger/badder the attacker will be on your base.
Being a great builder means trying everything, but not making the same mistake twice. It takes time to build up and learn, so be patient. Clash on!